Roscoe Ramble 2015
The Akron Bike Club celebrated another anniversary with the 41st running of the Roscoe ramble ride. 99 riders were registered for this year's ride which was more than previous years. I guess that word of a good thing gets around!
The ride was fortunate to have a great stable of returning volunteers which is one of the things that makes this ride so special! And we hardly need identification tags for our participants because we know most of them by first name by the end of the day!
We had terrific weather even though it was at times very hot and humid.
This year the route included a major change for Saturday's leg down to Coshocton. There were new roads and a new lunch stop at an exotic animal farm, the Farm at Walnut Creek. The new roads were very scenic and placid and were well received by all riders. The route followed a river valley past Winesburg and past Walnut Creek.
The riding crew was rewarded with an Amish lunch served under some tall shady trees which was well deserved.
The rider list included participants from 7 different states. Most notably was a couple from Oklahoma that came to Akron just to ride Roscoe!
There were several other notable achievements:
- One well-known ABC member rode both days with a fixed gear bike.
- There was also a young 12-year-old who participated with great enthusiasm.
- A sporty individual managed to run the Goodyear 10K Saturday morning before driving to Kidron for the ride on Saturday.
- One of our Saturday morning ride leaders had a mechanical problem. He was SAG'd back to the Kidron start location, drove to Century Cycle in Peninsula for a quick repair, returned to Kidron, and managed to show up at Saturday evening dinner. What a busy day!
- A returning and obviously very loyal Roscoe Ramble participant had a family emergency Saturday, but decided to drive back to Kidron on Sunday morning. He then managed to ride both Saturdays route and Sundays route!
All in all, it was a great weekend, only to be surpassed by next years event. Everyone should try to put this one on their calendar. Next years ride is the weekend of August 13 and 14th, 2016. Hope to see you there!
Check out the pictures from this years ride. On FlickR courtesy of Sue Richards.
Jim and Judy Birt
Roscoe Ramble Co-Directors