CORONOVIRUS UPDATE TO MEMBERS:
Akron Bicycle Club COVID-19 Group Ride Guidelines
As COVID-19 restrictions begin to be lifted across the country, ABC is looking forward to getting back to riding. ABC group rides will begin effective June 8, 2020; however, rider health and safety is still our primary objective. The following mitigation guidelines are aligned with USA Cycling recommendations and must be followed for ABC Group Rides, based on the current situation:
- All riders should check their temperature before arriving at a group ride. If you are not well, or don’t feel well, or have been exposed to COVID-19, do not show up!
- “Sign In” for group rides will be managed by the ride leader. All riders must report in to ride leader prior to ride and provide required information for the sign in sheet. Only the ride leader will handle the sign in sheet
- GPS is the preferred option for ride navigation. If GPS is not available, there will be a map link on the ABC Ride Calendar for riders to print out the ride map/cue sheet at home, prior to the ride. No cue sheets will be handed out at the ride.
- All riders should carry a mask and hand sanitizer with them in case a need arises to use during the ride, as both are easily transported
- Social distancing rules of 6 feet minimum should be followed for both pre and post-ride
- Riders should ride side-by-side or keep a minimum distance of 10 - 20 feet between riders. If any rider needs to sneeze, blow their nose, cough, etc. they should drop back so no one is in your slipstream
- All Group rides will start out in groups of 8 riders. If more than 8 riders show up, break into additional groups of 8 riders maximum. A ride leader is required in each group
- Starting in groups of 8 will allow for flexibility during a ride in case riders fall back or ride ahead. We must hold to a MAXIMUM of 10 Riders in any group at any time
- Multiple groups should maintain a 5-minute gap between group starts
- No food stops prior to, during or after group rides. All riders should carry water and nutrition needed for each ride so sharing is not needed
- Each rider should carry any needed tools, equipment and clothing so sharing is not needed
As with all ABC rides,
- Always arrive at least 10 minutes before start time to allow for adequate check in time
- All cyclists must wear bike helmets, obey all traffic laws, and no use of ear buds or cell phones while riding
- Use of rear-view mirror, headlight, tail light and reflectors is highly recommended
- ALL ABC Rides are for members only please join by clicking on Join ABC above.
Akron Bicycle Club Leadership Team
The Absolutely Beautiful Country Ride
Is Alive in 2020!
The ABC Ride has gone VIRTUAL on July 11 and July 12
(THIS IS A REAL RIDE....JUST UN-SUPPORTED!!
The routes and roads are out there waiting for you. Here's how the event will work:
- You must register for the ride at:https://www.akronbike.org/content.aspx?page_id=4002&club_id=133645&item_id=1224565
- The ride is FREE, but we need to get a head count of participants
- FOUR routes are available: 25 miles, 50 miles, 62 miles and 100 miles. All routes are available on the ABC Ride Website Page in both Ride With GPS files and cue sheets. Final routes will be updated the week prior to the ride.
- Next, ride any of the Absolutely Beautiful Country routes on either Saturday, July 11 or Sunday, July 12. All routes begin at Copley High School, 3807 Ridgewood Rd. Copley, OH, where there is ample parking. Bathroom facilities will not be available at the High School or stadium; however, a porta pot is located in the northwest corner of the parking lot.
- Be sure to “like” and “follow” the Absolutely Beautiful Country Ride Facebook Page. Along the ride, don’t forget to take some selfies to post on our Facebook page!
- For insurance purposes and to confirm participation, after your ride is completed, you must email one of the “virtual ride leaders” with each rider/s name and the route that you rode, to:firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- All riders confirming completion of an ABC route will be entered into a drawing to win a $50 Gift Card for merchandise at Bike Authority
- Note, as this is a virtual ride, you are on your own:
- There is no SAG or food stops on the ride, so go prepared.
- You may be able to get water at the rest areas designated on the routes, but again, go prepared
- Routes will not be marked or painted… use GPS or Cue Sheets
- Please heed all COVID-19 Guidelines and any social distancing orders that may still be in place at the time of the ride
We want to Thank our Exclusive Sponsor Bike Authority in Broadview Hts
2020 Roscoe Ramble Canceled
Due to the ongoing Covid19 crisis and uncertainty surrounding the safety of our riders and volunteers, ABC is canceling the Roscoe Ramble ride scheduled for September 19-20, 2020. Please visit us next year for this annual event. Registrations already received will be contacted shortly by ABC for full refunds. Stay Healthy!
E-Bike Giveaway Postponed
The Akron Bicycle Club and Pedego of Peninsula regret to announce that the Pedego E-Bike Giveaway scheduled for July 12, 2020, will be postponed due to the current coronavirus situation.
In an effort to maximize the charitable donations raised by the event, our plan is to reschedule the E-Bike giveaway for 2021. Thanks for your interest and stay tuned!
Club ABC Jerseys are available to purchase. Check them out here. 2020 Jerseys
Think Spring Ride, April 18 is canceled!
ABC Ride July 12th, Registration is currently closed
* Details on ride calendar